What to expect during the appointment:
The dentist will examine your child’s teeth and jaws to make sure everything is developing as expected. Dr. Loan will check for staining, cavities, alignment, and other issues.
During the visit, the Dr. Loan will normally be able to gauge where the examination should take place. This may be in the pram, on your lap, or in the dental chair – all on their own! We will count and check the teeth, and can even take some images to show you and your child. Once that part is over, Dr. Loan can clean your child’s teeth, and give you both tips on how to care for their teeth at home.
At home, parents will need to assist with cleaning until about the age of 7 or 8 and even then, supervision is still be a good idea when brushing and flossing.
How to prepare for the appointment:
- To get your child ready for the visit, talk to them about what’s going to happen, and try to be positive.
- Have your child practice opening their mouth to get them ready for when the dentist cues them to “open”.
- Beforehand, make sure your child has had some rest and a meal. This will gives us the best chance of a productive appointment.
- Make a list of questions for the dentist. Dr. Loan will be happy to take her time answering them for you.
- Bring ideas of any movies or TV shows that your child likes on Kid’s Netflix for us to prepare in the room.
- Think of the appointment as a happy and fun experience – that way your tot will soon realise it’s not at all scary coming to the dentist!
At Central Park Dentist, we are pleased to offer a free first-visit for children under 5.
We are available Monday to Saturday, and you can reach us on (02) 6153 3134, by email, or simply Book Online.